Rev. Beatrice Lamonte officially founded Temple of Faith in 1955 along with seven young people who had a deep desire for more of the Lord. Just two years prior, Pastor Lamonte and this small group began gathering on a hillside to pray and wait on God. During the winter months they gathered at the pastor’s home until the Lord led them to a small building on Fifth Avenue in McKeesport, PA—the very first home of Temple of Faith.
Pastor Lamonte stepped into the pulpit at a time when a woman’s calling was typically confined to teaching Sunday School or playing the piano. She endured many prejudices at the beginning of her ministry but endured through the tough times as much fruit was being produced and lives were being changed.
In 1958, the Lord opened the door for Temple of Faith to move to its second home—a storefront building at 2710 Fifth Avenue in McKeesport. Much hard work and renovation went into the building as God continued to move in this small congregation. Numerous miracles happened as many came to know the Lord.
In 1964, sixty drug addicts came from New York City and stayed at the church as they turned their lives over to the Lord and were healed and delivered from the bondages of addiction. During this time, Pastor Lamonte was involved in helping these recovering addicts write a book, cut a record, and make a film called “Way Out.” Many of these former addicts went on to become ministers.
From early on Pastor Lamonte was passionate about establishing a true New Testament church focused on sending out people for the work of the ministry. In the early days one of the converted addicts, the late John Gimenez, met and married Ann (Netherly) Gimenez. This couple went on to start Rock Church of Virginia Beach, VA—a congregation of thousands today. Another example includes early member, Dorothy Marks marrying Gary Piovesan before serving 20 years in Papua New Guinea as a missionary family. Early member, Vonnie Freeman, was called to the mission field of South Africa in 1971 and served there until her death in 2010. Temple of Faith continues to have a special connection to South Africa and has financed the building of two churches in that country.
In 2004, the Temple of Faith congregation outgrew their storefront location at 2710 Fifth Avenue and moved to their third and current home at 1108 Jamison Avenue in North Versailles. This larger facility provided better parking, a convenient location off Route 30, room for growth, and an opportunity to host annual conferences. In 2013, Pastor Bea passed the mantle of leadership to her son. Currently, Rev. Samuel and Leah Lamonte are the Senior Pastors while Dr. Bruce Zarnick serves as the church secretary and treasurer. Temple of Faith is a non-denominational church led by the pastors with support and guidance from a board of appointed elders and deacons.
Temple of Faith has maintained the same vision since 1955—to be a place where Jesus is changing lives!